Thursday, November 10, 2022

Migrate from NAS RAID 1 to unRAID


full image - Repost: Migrate from NAS RAID 1 to unRAID (from Reddit.com, Migrate from NAS RAID 1 to unRAID)
Hi all,I've been on a QNAP NAS appliance for near a decade now, and one of my disks is dying so rather than blindly replace it, I am thinking I want a newer, better solution.Back in the day when I decided to go with a NAS appliance, the reason was because, even though I am a software dev and could easily make my own, I naively thought that I didn't want to 'DIY' it with my data integrity - and didn't want to 'manage' it myself - I wanted a bespoke solution.The reason I went for RAID 1 (mirroring) is that I hate the idea of lock in in proprietary RAID formats and the potential for difficulty accessing my data.I couldn't afford enough disks to make a RAID 3+ (parity) anyway - but I love the idea that worst come to worse, I can eject one of the disks in the mirror and mount it on any old PC that can read ext4, and all my data is there like a normal disk.However, as time has gone on, I have lamented not being able to grow my array in a JBOD/non-symmetrical type manner.I am thinking that unRAID sounds great for me (as compared to ZFS/TrueNAS)I get the benefits of adhoc growth of drive pool, with the benefits of data loss protection.However, I have heard unRAID called a file-level technology rather than disk-level.How does unRAID work at the disk level?Does it distribute files across disks in the pool, keeping parity on the parity disk for data loss prevention, but over the network still present the directory listings as unified across all disks?Does that mean if I were to remove all the disks and mount them on any device capable of reading XFS or BTRFS, I would still see my data (although I may find it split between disks at the file level?)


Mining:
Bitcoin, Cryptotab browser - Pi Network cloud PHONE MINING
Fone, cloud PHONE MINING cod. dhvd1dkx - Mintme, PC PHONE MINING


Exchanges:
Coinbase.com - Stex.com - Probit.com


Donations:
Done crypto



Comments System

Disqus Shortname

Disqus Shortname

designcart
Powered by Blogger.