Friday, March 3, 2023

Taking a Break? (Should I? How should I do it?)


full image - Repost: Taking a Break? (Should I? How should I do it?) (from Reddit.com, Taking a Break? (Should I? How should I do it?))
Hi all,Feeling relieved to have found this thread! Am in need of some advice from people outside my group of loved ones... I'll share a bit about me to give some context before I get into my question.Thanks in advance for reading <3I graduated from a top acting conservatory over 5 years ago. I lived abroad for a few years and made some short films that toured (small) festivals and one even won an award. I moved to LA in 2020 (I know what was I thinking) and sort of miraculously signed with a rep from one of the most prestigious management/production companies in the country (I can't find the stats on it right now but they're behind like True Detective, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and The Revenant). I had no professional credits at the time so it was a big accomplishment for me and I immediately started taping tons of auditions. All my auditions were for lead roles/costars etc in really big projects. Within my first year, I was getting tons of great feedback from casting directors, my tapes would get pinned, and I had a few callbacks or "availability requests". It was definitely an exciting time and I felt like I had momentum even though I didn't book anything.Now it's been over a year (soon coming to my '3 years in LA' mark), that I have had zero momentum. No feedback, no callbacks, no pins, no bookings, nothing. As you can imagine, it's super tough. I still haven't booked anything. I see people all around me (talented and not (no offense)) book plenty of stuff and it's been really hard to stay confident and hopeful that it "will" happen to me too. Plus, in LA I am constantly faced with being yet another actor who hasn't succeeded. Sometimes, I feel like I have no escape from that reality because it's everywhere here.Of course, I wrestle constantly with how "good" I am at this craft– one that I adore and have dedicated myself to for over 10 years now (I started in school theatre as a kid!). Sometimes I'll review my old tapes and will feel proud because I like what I see. As in, I feel just as capable as anybody who's working. Other times, I see people booking and working that don't even work half as hard and I don't personally find their performances compelling at all. So I think, what does it even matter how good I am? It's more about being dedicated and persevering anyway no? Then on my darker days, I just submit to the idea that ok fine, maybe I'm just not good and I should give up. Those are the meaner voices and I try my best not to let them totally win.I'll add one last note which is that I haven't just auditioned since moving here. Obviously there's always more that a person can do but I have done some networking, taken acting classes, started writing my own projects, joined a writers group, and had many a conversations with my rep about casting a wider net. I also keep in touch with plenty of contacts from school that are working and succeeding in this industry.So, I suppose my question is this. I don't want to give up entirely but I can't see myself staying mentally healthy (read: sane) continuing this way. I find myself getting super frustrated and then am really hard on myself like once a week. I try to be pragmatic (I don't come from a family of artists) and think logically that I have no proof or signs that I'm going in the right direction so perhaps that means this isn't for me. I've given myself a deadline to take a break from acting because I need a breather from this level of frustration and disappointment. Ideally, I can return with new energy and a new state of mind after this break 🕊️Does anyone have advice on what the best way to do that is? So as not to totally tank any chances of returning later?- Can I take a break without necessarily announcing it to my rep? How would I do that?- How long/short is a safe time to be away without ruining things for the future?- Any other general advice on like things to do/not to while on a break?Thank you again and I wish you all broken legs for whatever you're working on or going out for ♥️xx


Mining:
Bitcoin, Cryptotab browser - Pi Network cloud PHONE MINING
Fone, cloud PHONE MINING cod. dhvd1dkx - Mintme, PC PHONE MINING


Exchanges:
Coinbase.com - Stex.com - Probit.com


Donations:
Done crypto



Comments System

Disqus Shortname

Disqus Shortname

designcart
Powered by Blogger.