
full image - Repost: How to move from help desk to databases? (from Reddit.com, How to move from help desk to databases?)
Mining:
Exchanges:
Donations:
I have been working help desk for about 1 1/2 years, and believe me when I say it pays the absolute bottom of the totem pole even for help desk jobs, but I took it as a foot in the door. I work at home full time. Benefits are pretty ok, but I have four kids and a disabled husband and I would love to be able to move up.I have an associates degree in information systems. I have a smattering of networking and server experience that I picked up from working on my husbands office after I got my degree, back when he still had an office. I learned sql on udemy and built working databases for another gig I had doing paperwork for a boss who was not computer savvy to help me personally keep up with his paperwork for him. I was learning JavaScript, css, and html at one point, to help him, but he ended up canning me once I got my job as help desk. He was also paying me potatoes anyway. My help desk job required me to get Microsoft certifications and I got my word certification and I’m almost done getting my excel certification, just because my job asked me to and paid for them.I was thinking of getting A+ certified next, but I have loved working with databases since school. I loved doing access when everybody else hated it in my class. I loved learning sql, and I like doing relational databases. I don’t see how having an A+ certificate would help me move to a job working with databases? I’d like to build databases if I could. How can I make a move on the right direction?
Social Media Icons