Tuesday, August 22, 2023

I'm 10 years into IT - I despise it and desperately want out.


full image - Repost: I'm 10 years into IT - I despise it and desperately want out. (from Reddit.com, I'm 10 years into IT - I despise it and desperately want out.)
Hey everyone, hoping I can get some advice on how to proceed with switching careers or any general ideas of where I should go. Sorry for formatting, mobile.At the moment: I was recently laid off from a Help Desk position, contract, replaced by an offshore team. 9 years IT Support, Network Support, and Help Desk experience. I have good working knowledge, certifications, the works - but I'm burnt out from the field. I've done exceptionally well in my career, have countless professional references, and I could potentially land something in IT that pays around the $70k/yr mark... The area I live in, that $70k/yr mark isn't livable anyway, it's not some magnificent salary when the majority of it goes into taxes. I just don't want to, not for something I hate. I realized IT is specifically for those who want to constantly evolve, don't care if they don't get to choose the topic that they learn but rather they're just passionate about learning in general. I'm not this type of person. I love being challenged, but lose interest the moment someone brings up a topic I don't care for. I could talk the evolution of credit card processing solutions and PCI compliance, but the moment you ask me something Network related I just shut down. It's just not what I want in my life anymore... It's a fucking miserable. Not even to mention that the vast majority of the roles are contract-to-hire. What that really means in the world of IT is "you work for us until we find someone cheaper."Doesn't bother me so much that I was laid off. I've put in my work, I've kept up with tech, and I ultimately can't go through with an other interview of someone asking me if I know what DHCP, DNS, or VPN stands for. I 'walked out' of an interview immediately after they'd ask, because I've been doing this for years and I just checked out mentally when he brought it up because I instantly realized I want nothing to do with IT. I think I intentionally bomb interviews to some degree when they ask me this, because it's all in my resume. If they took the time to actually go through it, they'd know that I do in fact know what I'm doing. But they don't. I want to switch to something I enjoy.Motorcycle mechanic, automotive industry, property management, leasing consultant, or something stupid like a pet store manager (you work with your communities or teams, build them up, help people, something hands on, challenges me to come up with ideas).I want to be able to use my body and mind a little more instead of rotting in bed dealing with tickets of "my printer doesn't work, help."I have experience in team leading, supervision, sales, & mechanic work at a quick-lube place that I mostly worked weekends at until they closed for 5 years, restored many project cars with extensive documentation of said projects, I've written IT guidelines, procedures, etc. IT and any type of administrative softwares, certifications with two network companies, and have also dealt with many types of stressful high paced environments. I've also helped maintain, review, and deal with leasing situations, fair housing, etc. from when my grandfather would rent out his apartments above his computer shop for half a decade. A jack of all trades, and a master of absolutely none situation.Anyone have any suggestions on how to break into a field without misrepresenting myself and still presenting myself as competent? Any suggestions on how to rework my IT dominated resume to reflect more on my other loosely marketable skills? I feel lost as a whole. What if I switch careers and still hate it? What if my body can't actually keep up as much as I think it will? What if the pay is completely trash and unlivable? Do I take these risks...?Thank you everyone in advance, and I'll try to reply to everyone's comments!TL;DR: I hate IT with a burning passion, walked out of an interview when I realized it. I wanna be handy, 5 years of some mechanic experience, family experience with leasing, wanna know how to switch careers without seeming like an idiot or formatting resume because I'm really awful at it.


Mining:
Bitcoin, Cryptotab browser - Pi Network cloud PHONE MINING
Fone, cloud PHONE MINING cod. dhvd1dkx - Mintme, PC PHONE MINING


Exchanges:
Coinbase.com - Stex.com - Probit.com


Donations:
Done crypto



Comments System

Disqus Shortname

Disqus Shortname

designcart
Powered by Blogger.