Thursday, September 1, 2022

Is this a horrible first job (two months in)?


full image - Repost: Is this a horrible first job (two months in)? (from Reddit.com, Is this a horrible first job (two months in)?)
Background: at 36, I decided to pursue a career in IT- late last year, I installed Linux on VMware Fusion and started trying to learn as much as possible. Took courses on Coursera, read books, setup a homelab with a variety of distros, Windows Server, Hyper-V, etc. I loved Linux and started looking into what a career in IT would look like. I graduated w/a degree in sociology in May (well, sort of- I got an incomplete in two classes that I'm finishing up currently) and started blasting out applications on Indeed, LinkedIn, Dice, etc.After less than two weeks of applying (close to if not more than 200 applications), I got a phone interview. The person interviewing me was the owner of the company and he said he was hiring for a senior network engineer, but I guess we got along well and he liked my passion and enthusiasm. He said he'd create a network admin apprentice position for me and if I'd be interested in that. I said yes and he said he'd reach out. Less than a week later, I had formal offer to be a 1099 contractor making just under $50k/year. I was pretty thrilled- this guy was super nice and super excited for my/our future- promises of teaching me lots and all that good stuff. I did not embellish my skills whatsoever- I told him I'd never worked in IT before and that I didn't have TOO much Windows experience, aside from being a casual user/troubleshooting networking stuff years ago, etc- that I'd been studying Linux for the last 7 or 8 months and that I'd love to learn about system/network administration. He said this would be a tremendous opportunity and I agreed- especially considering I had no IT experience.Well, turns out the other admin/engineer had given their two weeks and he had literally like 4 days to train me on anything he could. This is a tiny MSP- literally it's the boss and I, and we have like ten fucking clients- and he's barely taught me shit. He lives halfway across the country (we're in the US) and it can take him HOURS to respond to a text/email- even if I'm onsite trying to repair something or if I'm remoted into a user's machine literally waiting for him to send me software that I've been asked to install- he can be VERY unresponsive. I've without a doubt learned more from Google, our main vendor and my best friend who's a senior devops engineer than from my boss. He promises stuff and then doesn't do it, says we'll do this and that and it never fucking happens.Yesterday I kind of fucked up- I needed to provision some VMs for one of our clients for remote use. I made a proposal for a small desktop, threw on 64gbs of RAM, and spun up two VMs using Hyper-V. I neglected to find out that the users needed to print remotely from the domain that they were remoted into onto a printer local them and one of the users flipped their shit (understandably), said wtf was I doing the past few weeks, this shit should've been squared away and asked that my boss get involved. I told him this. He didn't. He suggested a half-baked solution that didn't work and I ended up fixing it on my own. This guy also uses SOME (not all) unlicensed versions of software (which if that wasn't the case, I would've been able to call for support yesterday). This is a Windows shop- the previous "engineer" had never touched PowerShell or any kind of scripting in his three years there.I've been here b/w 2 and 3 months now and today I called I recruiter I spoke to before I started working here and am considering blasting out applications again. I don't mind reading the fucking manual and learning shit the hard way and I know for a fact there will be difficult users that I'll have to deal with anywhere I go, but what bothers me most is the lack of support and the lack of learning/teaching. I get reading StackOverflow and digging through documentation, but isn't it more effective for someone as green as me to IDK, maybe have someone fucking teaching me, instead of spinning my wheels for several hours googling shit?IDK, I'm just wondering if I should keep this job or really start looking elsewhere. On a human level, I really like my boss and I really like 99% of our users. I get to travel a little bit and I also get to work from home the majority of the time. And another thing which I fucking hate and think is insane- when he introduces me to clients, he says this is my network engineer LMFAO- like, really, bro???? Jesus, you must really bank on your clients not knowing shit about fuck.Am I being a whiney little bitch, or is this actually a fucked up working environment? Sorry for the long read and I very much appreciate any input or insults everyone has.


Mining:
Bitcoin, Cryptotab browser - Pi Network cloud PHONE MINING
Fone, cloud PHONE MINING cod. dhvd1dkx - Mintme, PC PHONE MINING


Exchanges:
Coinbase.com - Stex.com - Probit.com


Donations:
Done crypto



Comments System

Disqus Shortname

Disqus Shortname

designcart
Powered by Blogger.