Tuesday, August 30, 2022

HA Newbie seeks recommendations on Thermostats, Door/Window Sensors, Fader Light Switches and Gosund plug integration


full image - Repost: HA Newbie seeks recommendations on Thermostats, Door/Window Sensors, Fader Light Switches and Gosund plug integration (from Reddit.com, HA Newbie seeks recommendations on Thermostats, Door/Window Sensors, Fader Light Switches and Gosund plug integration)
So I got the 'Home Automation' bug during Covid and did a lot of lighting work on my old house. I used Gosund Wifi Plugs extensively and found them to be reliable and rock solid. However, my old house was built in 1900, and it didn't have the wiring or the carpentry to accept most modern home automation components without lots of rework.​I moved two months ago, and my new house is only a decade old. It has all the wiring, boxes, and fixtures I need to add smart thermostats, automated light switches, door open and close monitoring, and any other old fun thing I want to try. I also just got my first electric bill and saw what happens when my kid leaves his exterior door open while the whole house AC is on. Eeek!Finally, I noticed that even since Covid, some of the other Home Automation hardware that I purchased has become unsupported as companies come and go. So I'm trying to avoid anything that requires a subscription or for me to rely on a cloud service for the technology to keep operating.So I have settled on doing an HA setup. As I start researching components, I thought I'd seek recommendations from anyone willing to help. These are my current questions:I have a few hundred dollars in Gosund plugs that came with me from the old house. They integrate with Google Home and with their own app. Online research says that some people have gotten them to work with Tuya - but that looks like it may have been an older version of the plugs than the ones I have. Although I'd like to not rely on Google Home for the integration, since they already run there, if there is a simple way to integrate Google Home into HA, that would be a good way for me to save those plugs. Any advice on other solutions or the Google Home integration?I need three thermostats that can control both heating and cooling. I'd like to have sensors that I can put in the rooms they are not in, as the temperature definitely needs to be averaged a bit better throughout the house. Also, as mentioned, my kid has a sliding door in his room and he likes to leave it open. But the thermostat is right outside his room and so he freezes the rest of the floor he is on. Thus, I'd like to have a thermostat that I can couple with switches to turn off air conditioning when his door is open. What is your favorite thermostat and switch combination?I really love having all my Lamps controlled from my iPhone with Gosund. I'd like to integrate the overhead lights into that system. As discussed above, I know I may have to abandon Gosund or at least move from their app to Google Home. What light switches would you recommend as part of this integration? Can I use the Google Home interface to control other aspects of HA if I use that as my front end?What other questions am I forgetting to ask? As I get into this, what am I going to wish I knew now?Thanks in advance to anyone who wants to take the time to help a newbie!P.S. I have a Raspberry Pi set up and running an HA server on my network now. It already found my wifi amp and wifi camera, so I know its working solidly. I'm relatively technically proficient, but it has been some time since I actively worked with Linux. The more "plug and play" the better - like, I'll get an API dev license from Tuya to get the Gosund plugs integrated, but I'll just sell em before I start cracking em open and flashing memory. Thanks again!


Mining:
Bitcoin, Cryptotab browser - Pi Network cloud PHONE MINING
Fone, cloud PHONE MINING cod. dhvd1dkx - Mintme, PC PHONE MINING


Exchanges:
Coinbase.com - Stex.com - Probit.com


Donations:
Done crypto



Comments System

Disqus Shortname

Disqus Shortname

designcart
Powered by Blogger.