Thursday, September 14, 2023

Same cost to upgrade from 1Gb to 5Gb internet, Need Advice on Hardware to support it


full image - Repost: Same cost to upgrade from 1Gb to 5Gb internet, Need Advice on Hardware to support it (from Reddit.com, Same cost to upgrade from 1Gb to 5Gb internet, Need Advice on Hardware to support it)
Hello,I have the opportunity to upgrade my home internet connection from 1Gig to 5 Gig for the same cost I am currently paying. I am taking this opportunity to redo much of my home network infrastructure. I am hoping to build / buy a machine for running pfSense or similar as I would like to get some more network control and utilize Vlans for my smart home / iot devices. I have a very dumb home network setup right now and am hoping to get some guidance to skill up fast.Current:I currently run Unraid on a z690 motherboard that supports 2.5gb ethernet, This is my primary concern for maximizing throughput. My personal desktop supports 2.5gb ethernet. I have piHole on a rpi4 currently hosting my DNS and managing my static IPs and (duh) adblocking. I am using Eero 6 mesh for my current router and wireless access. I have security cameras on a dumb tplink 6 port POE switch. Future:I am trying to figure out how to maximize my speeds on a budget. I am thinking of using the ISP modem -> 10gbe rj45 into a new SFF pc with a Dual 5gbe or 10gbe NIC -> then onto a switch that supports VLAN. I would like to put my Eero router and points into Access Point mode with pfSense manage the routing. Questions / Confusion:I am hung up on and confused by SFP+. I don't believe my AT&T router will have SFP+. How do I get my 5Gigabit speeds most effectively? I am looking at Dell Optiplex's to get a 10gbe network card put in for the PFSense machine. Then getting the same or similar cards for my Unraid and Personal Desktop. Should I get both an 10gbe RJ45 NIC and a 10gb SFP+ nic for the pfSense machine? Maybe use Rj45 to accept the connection from the ISP router then use the SFP+ to connect to a switch and NICs for my machines? Do I even bother getting into SFP+ NIC's and switches? It seems like it might be unnecessary over a 10gbe rj45 NIC.PfSense vs Pihole - I haven't done much research yet but am vaguely aware that they don't play nice? pfSense has pfBlocker-NG which has a similar function? Pihole is currently serving DNS and DHCP IP's for me right now. Anything I should be aware of with that migration?Saturation - at what point am I taking this too far? I have a concern about dumping money on SFP+ only to learn my unraid machine is bottlenecked by the drives and I won't saturate it for LAN NAS functions. I don't anticipate any external services saturating 5GB. My most intense non-LAN usage is NZB's and Plex. If I have 5gig coming into the house, should I bother with 10gbps or just hang on to my motherboard supported 2.5gb ports right now? VLANS - I've got some research to do here as well but if I use pfSense to manage VLANs, I need to get switches that support VLANS too right? Any suggestions? Looking for ~6POE and ~8LAN ports. If I look into SFP+, would that be a 3rd switch? AP's - I only have 2 or 3 devices with Wifi 6 or 6E. One being my desktop that I am hoping to hardwire 10bE and one being the upcoming iPhone 15. I am really only streaming plex on the other wireless devices or something like my doorbell video camera. I am not super concerned about upgrading from Eero at the moment but open suggestions.Looking for advice, experience, suggestions. I'd like to keep all necessary improvements under $1k total. I'd be thrilled if I could keep it under $500. I feel silly even asking some of these questions because I've been very content at 980mbps connection in the home but for no additional cost, I am going to take the 5gpbs upgrade. I don't really have any dire need for 5gbps but if it is available I want to get close to actually using it. And part of me wants to learn some of this and "future proof" my office.​Thanks for the assist, hope I'm not asking too much here. I've got a lot of research to do but thought some of y'all might have strong opinions on hardware. ​​​


Mining:
Bitcoin, Cryptotab browser - Pi Network cloud PHONE MINING
Fone, cloud PHONE MINING cod. dhvd1dkx - Mintme, PC PHONE MINING


Exchanges:
Coinbase.com - Stex.com - Probit.com


Donations:
Done crypto



Comments System

Disqus Shortname

Disqus Shortname

designcart
Powered by Blogger.