Saturday, October 14, 2023

Steeping Stone Positions to Pentester?


full image - Repost: Steeping Stone Positions to Pentester? (from Reddit.com, Steeping Stone Positions to Pentester?)
Hello everyone I was wondering if being like a SOC analyst is a good stepping stone to becoming a Pentester? Or is unesscary getting ready to start my OSCP journey end of Decemeber, when L1 goes on Sale. Taking my Security+ end of the Month. In that downtime, planned to do some more HTB/Other learning, and am already able to do easy Boxes on HTB. Experience wise, I am currently a T2 Techincal Services Tech, for half a year, before that I kind of took a side step. I ended up having to run a Family Owned Business as a Proptery Manager, however in that role, I turned our small WiFi endeavor, into a full blown network. With security cameras, servers, gave residents (40 households) internet becoming an intermediary ISP. Built and maintained our Website, and much more. So I have translatable IT skills and work from that. Prior to that (though that was for 12 years) I was a TSS for a College, and Help Desk for 2wire. So I kind of merged my technical experience, into running a business, and continued both. My dream in the start of all of this, was Pentesting I took linux, programming, Administration, networking, and Pentesting classes back then. We didn't have Cyber Sec degree programs then, but I picked the brain of a Linux Teacher that was a PT for a F500 at the time. Practiced Ethical hacking as much as I could with the abilities we had then, ect, back when Kali was Backtrack to age myself haha. Ran my own security for the network I one manned, and am very good with networking, Linux, servers, web design ect because of it. Plus my passion for this field, and thus learning and keeping up to datish, has never went anyway. And am a fast learner of things I don't know. My question is while studying for OSCP (and CISSP if it would help? I checked with ISC2, my experience qualifies) would it be beneficial to try and land a Remote Sec Analyst spot to pivot from? Or will my experience of past be enough? I currently reside in the small town our business of old was located, and while willing to move to uproot my family would be a feat that I would only be okay with for a role that would be Pentesting or assuredly get me there. (Thats why I took the way lower paying TST position for now). I hate to leave my current company, however I am getting up there in years and need to be focused on achieving my goals. As far as Translatables, I am like the human embodiement of CISSP lol. I know a little about alot, know how to read and write alot of laungages but not at any great level, but enough to figure it out with Google. And very comfortable with Linux, Kali included, and Freebsd, as well. Built and maintainted a network, like I said. With a Pfsense box, and lots of its features. Radius Auth, configured the firewall myself, suricata as well, played with Alien Vault for a Time, but not enough of our own clients to justify it. Worked with Cisco Switches and APs as Well as Unifi, in that same reasoning. Was a PVP MMO Community Leader, and as such lots of experience with Social Engineering, Doxing and the likes, and having people Dox me and try to attack my network and defending against that. Dabbled in semi competetive overclocking for awhile, so great with Hardware modifications and repair. Can get down on some microsoldering, now how to work with arduinos, Raspies and the like. Have always been very much a tinkerer, and am great at getting Tech to do what I want. Sorry for the Book, wanted all the info presented. If you have any other questions, ask them I am an open book. And appreciate any feedback, that you could provide. I just want to be on the right and best track. Thanks in Advance.


Mining:
Bitcoin, Cryptotab browser - Pi Network cloud PHONE MINING
Fone, cloud PHONE MINING cod. dhvd1dkx - Mintme, PC PHONE MINING


Exchanges:
Coinbase.com - Stex.com - Probit.com


Donations:
Done crypto



Comments System

Disqus Shortname

Disqus Shortname

designcart
Powered by Blogger.