Friday, December 8, 2023

I fucking hate network configuration


full image - Repost: I fucking hate network configuration (from Reddit.com, I fucking hate network configuration)
Here's a rant you can get the most out of if you know your IT stuff.I work in the industry (programming and web services, to be precise). Computers have been my life since I was a kid since I felt an outcast everywhere else. I'm not exceptionally talented by any means but I get around in most aspects when it comes to tech stuff. I build my own PCs. I run Linux systems at home, some of which are virtual machines that do a specific task so I don't have a huge number of physical machines consuming power, money and space, like an IoT machine and a gaming system. I can do this stuff and I'm happy with it. I have a tendency to come up with solutions that are complicated but have a cool factor and minimalistic in terms of amount of hardware. Except for one thing:Getting the networking and internets working. Whenever I want to get anything above the bare minimum working, everything falls apart. Getting networking routed to my virtual machines? No go. VPN access where all LAN services just work? Fuck no. VLANs working where the router and switch should be more than capable for it? Nothing works. Because of this, I have always solved the problem by just throwing hardware at the problem. Each of my VMs is connected to my switch via dedicated passthrough network interfaces that just do the job for me. Now I'm stuck with configuring a VLAN because I simply cannot wire all the IoT crap separately in order to keep them apart from each other and all the other devices in my network, for security reasons.It just doesn't work. The only mode of failure is that stuff just does not work. I keep reading the documentation, stackoverflow and youtube. It's a mess. I don't necessarily understand the terminology, the shitty UIs in the router and the switches or even the basic ideas. The connections don't work and either nothing gets through or everything gets through. It's like building a house and when laying the final brick, the whole thing just collapses. Or driving a car on a straight stretch of road and you suddenly find yourself in the ditch. You don't know what you did wrong and the only thing you can do is try again. I'm now thinking about returning the managed switch I bought for VLANs because it just does not work and replacing it with one or more switches with a proprietary port isolation scheme that just internally blocks the traffic in the way I desire.


Mining:
Bitcoin, Cryptotab browser - Pi Network cloud PHONE MINING
Fone, cloud PHONE MINING cod. dhvd1dkx - Mintme, PC PHONE MINING


Exchanges:
Coinbase.com - Stex.com - Probit.com


Donations:
Done crypto



Comments System

Disqus Shortname

Disqus Shortname

designcart
Powered by Blogger.