Friday, January 12, 2024

Note from a GameDev wannabe


full image - Repost: Note from a GameDev wannabe (from Reddit.com, Note from a GameDev wannabe)
Hello everyone!Almost a year ago now, I wrote a post for r/GameDev where I asked for advice on entering the industry as a junior. I firstly want to start by thanking absolutely everyone in this community who reached out. I had absolutely countless people asking to review my CV, suggesting recruiters and influencers I could contact, and even just people wishing me the best in my future. I really appreciate every single person who read that post and tried to help me. It meant a lot at a point where I really needed it.My post basically described my situation at the time (Just graduated university with a BSc in CS) and my ambition, to become a Games Programmer. It was also unfortunately quite a pessimistic, hopeless read from me, as I really felt as though my chances of breaking into this crazy industry were impossible.Unfortunately, I'm not here to say that I did eventually achieve my goal. I'm not a Games Programmer, I haven't broken into the industry, I'm still sending countless applications every day in naive hope. But that's the reality of this industry sometimes. However, since then I have been working for almost a year in a different industry (Mobile Dev), passed my probation, received two salary increases, and pushed a product to a massive user base with my current company as part of a really supportive team of people who I've learnt so much from. I have also grown on LinkedIn, spoken and met with some fantastic individuals in the gaming and software space, and have lofty ambitions to deliver a talk at a local tech meet-up here in the UK. I owe that in part to all of you who reached out with support. You made me realise that I was doing all that I could at the time, and that it shouldn't reflect on me as a developer, or as a person. It drove me on; And my career, though not in Games, has flourished because of it.What I'm trying to say, is that this Industry IS tough. It has evolved from what it used to be, and can be really quite crushing for youth who are just trying to contribute to something they're so passionate about. But, this industry is also home to some of the kindest, most supportive people I have ever met; I would not be the person I am today without its products. I'm going to keep making games in my spare time, keep plugging away with applications and networking... and who knows? Maybe I'll achieve my dream one day. But to all those looking to break into this industry:Yes it could be tough, but please keep trying, and keep persevering. This industry would be nothing without us dreamers!(Special mention to those who've been laid off in 23/24. Check out Amir Satvat on LinkedIn, he has some brilliant resources for those affected!)If anyone wants to talk about anything I've mentioned today, or is feeling as down and frustrated as I did when I wrote my last post, feel free to reach out via DM, I'm always open to talk. To everyone else, have a great weekend, and hopefully a very successful 2024!


Mining:
Bitcoin, Cryptotab browser - Pi Network cloud PHONE MINING
Fone, cloud PHONE MINING cod. dhvd1dkx - Mintme, PC PHONE MINING


Exchanges:
Coinbase.com - Stex.com - Probit.com


Donations:
Done crypto



Comments System

Disqus Shortname

Disqus Shortname

designcart
Powered by Blogger.