Thursday, July 25, 2024

Should I switch to an over the shoulder perspective?


full image - Repost: Should I switch to an over the shoulder perspective? (from Reddit.com, Should I switch to an over the shoulder perspective?)
Been having a bit too much fun with unity physics and now have the skeleton of a bizarre fighting game in front of me. I'm a big mecha fan, especially NGE & AC, and I've been experimenting with a funky movement system inspired by a bunch of mecha games.It's 3D with an action camera that is always looking to keep the view on the center point between the two combatants, akin to Tekken. However, the speeds and distances involved are quite extreme; the first fighter can tap-dash to close 100 meters in under 30 frames, and I can see something interesting coming from it.Currently the system is set up so that movement commands only impact the character's X-Y movement force, and cannot trigger an animation-lock by arguing with themselves. Holding a button called VERTICAL changes your movement control to Y-Z axis; down input crouches or thrusts downwards if airborne, while up causes a jump or upwards thrust if airborne. The problem with the VERTICAL button is it's just one more layer on a fundamentally complex idea, and it could be simplified into a simpler jump/fly/dive command with an over tje shoulder perspective allowing players biaxial control over character momentum directionality. The problem with an over-the-shoulder perspective is that it will not only make my life somewhat hellish in network backend should I take this idea further, but also it kills another mechanic I have planned; Aim Adjust.The camera's dynamic action is caused mostly by a delay in recentering whenever someone tap-dashes. This component is extrapolated into a targeting reticle which constantly seeks out the opponent. Each has a simple script which runs every time the opposing player changes their trajectory sharply enough, causing the reticle to re-acquire the opponent for a while. While the reticle is over the opponent, all ranged attacks will strike them if they do not evade or change their trajectory significantly enough. Yes, For Answer is my favorite Armored Core game how could you tell?How does Aim Adjust get fucked over by Over The Shoulder Perspective, you ask? Because it gives me nausea to wrestle against an armament control system with a controller. The game is going to be very focused on close ranged combat, with all characters having some form of punches kicks and tackles, meaning visual clarity of spacing is paramount.My head hurts.Reddit, apply me some wisdom directly to the forehead? I'm not very far along on this test project here.


Mining:
Bitcoin, Cryptotab browser - Pi Network cloud PHONE MINING
Fone, cloud PHONE MINING cod. dhvd1dkx - Mintme, PC PHONE MINING


Exchanges:
Coinbase.com - Stex.com - Probit.com


Donations:
Done crypto



Comments System

Disqus Shortname

Disqus Shortname

designcart
Powered by Blogger.