Monday, July 25, 2022

A Review about Writing Conference


full image - Repost: A Review about Writing Conference (from Reddit.com, A Review about Writing Conference)
I just finished attending a writing conference. I had both positive and not so positive experiences and since a lot of writers on here might benefit from what to expect from someone who has attended a few, I thought this little review might be helpful for those considering attending one. This is my throwaway/lurker account.First off: One of the best parts about a conference is making connections, if you can. With that said, I have gone to very big conferences like the AWP (Association of Writers and Writing Programs) and these are sometimes so large and overwhelming it's hard to make connections outside of your own tribe. If you're thinking of attending this conference, ask yourself: are you currently in or considering getting an MFA in creative writing? Are your publishing goals to publish in literary magazines? If the answer is yes, then the AWP is for you. If not, then probably not, at least not for your first conference.Now, if you are a novice writer and you hope to make connections with agents and such, a writing conference (but not AWP) might be the way to go. Sometimes you'll hear a success story of someone going to a writers' conference pitching their book to an agent during a "speed dating" event, and getting a deal. I don't know anyone personally who has done this, nor has anyone telling me such stories knew that writer personally either. In your research, look up the presenters and see if they are just offering services. Are they all just a bunch of writing coaches and publicity gurus? Are they making lots of promises on their linkedin? Is it hard to tell what, exactly, they do for their clients? Then they are presenting not because they are just getting paid to be there but to market their services (ie: get more of your money).But if you are going to a conference to meet some great people just like you trying to get your book published, learn about the industry, and gain some new skills in your craft then a writers' conference may be a good investment.The best parts of this conference I just attended: some of the workshops I took were pretty good. I paid extra (notice a theme brewing...?) for a more in depth class and it was worth it, but that was on top of the $750 registration price tag. I was able to market my project (it's about writing and writing advice) so it directly fit with my goals. I took another marketing class that helped me understand how to enhance and build my platform and presence online.But the regular classes that were part of the registration fee many times fell short. Some of those included a self publishing class (I got lost in the hotel and ended up in this class but stayed because why not) which felt very scammy. I took another on how to write the book jacket copy of your book (the presenter later admitted she didn't know much about the topic but the director asked for her to teach it and she agreed--also keep in mind a publisher will help you write this if you get a book deal).The parts I didn't like: I got the sense that many of the agents/book coaches were preying on novice writers. I found a table filled with names bidding for items that are usually offered as freebies to sign up for newsletters or inexpensive ebooks. Things like: "best template for the book proposal.' I saw someone pitch almost a $100 for some of this stuff. One can go to a library for books on these very topics, books that are highly regarded in the industry and are free with a library card.I also saw agents offering $100 for fifteen minute consultations, which, to me, was kind of extreme. I met someone who did this very thing and I can't say she got her value's worth. For real. This is not worth it. Nothing anyone can tell you in fifteen minutes for that amount of money will be worth it. But you've already spent so much; your lifelong dream is to become a writer and if maybe, just maybe this is you chance wouldn't you take it?...see how that works?You will have much more success developing your craft by finding a writing workshop or class taught by an industry specific published writer or an agent (yes, there's plenty). Make sure they're linked to a reputable writing school, like Gotham or Grub Street or The Loft or Lighthouse Writers, etc. These are not colleges, but they are places where experts know the craft and know how to teach. They are almost always safe spaces to develop your voice and talent. They also don't cost as much as a writing conference.And to just make one more nitpicky, personal rant: they fed us breakfast, but I couldn't eat the food they served. It was all sugar and carbohydrates, only hard boiled eggs (which disappeared in a flash) for protein. The vegetarian option for the big dinner was potatoes over white rice. Starch, which again I couldn't eat for blood sugar purposes, was my only option so begged for something else and received a plate of lettuce, few slivers of carrot and a tomato slice (it didn't even include dressing).One could argue: who cares about the food...you're not necessarily there to eat. But keep in mind you don't want to leave the conference to eat when you've already paid for food. You also miss out on opportunities for networking. Let's just say I was constantly comparing the price I paid with what I was getting and I didn't always feel like I got what I paid for.For a quick bio: I teach creative writing and I have an MFA in creative writing. I have published some of my work. My experience is more with small distribution presses, many of them linked to writing programs at universities and such. I'm not interested in publishing for commercial audiences and my intentions for this conference was to market a side project of mine.I hope this was helpful, albeit a bit 'ranty.' Good luck on your writing journey. I will not attend this conference again, but I did learn just enough about commercial publishing to know I do not want to associate with people in this writing industry. So, at least, in that regard, I think it was sort of worth it.


Mining:
Bitcoin, Cryptotab browser - Pi Network cloud PHONE MINING
Fone, cloud PHONE MINING cod. dhvd1dkx - Mintme, PC PHONE MINING


Exchanges:
Coinbase.com - Stex.com - Probit.com


Donations:
Done crypto



Comments System

Disqus Shortname

Disqus Shortname

designcart
Powered by Blogger.