Wednesday, May 29, 2024

'Did I screw up purchasing this cable?' and other questions for you!


full image - Repost: 'Did I screw up purchasing this cable?' and other questions for you! (from Reddit.com, 'Did I screw up purchasing this cable?' and other questions for you!)
For my experience level, I took some computer networking in college 20 years ago, that was also the last time I physically terminated a cable. I don't have any professional experience, but I know enough to have earned my A+ and N+ . I'm to the next part of my self hosting journey, and its time to run some ethernet cable. I live in a 1 story house with a finished basement, except for the Laundry room which is where I plan to place a Switch that will connect everything. I have a POE doorbell I plan to run from my front porch, up into my attic, and down along my chimney to the basement. I also will have an access point that is POE+ in a bedroom on the main floor, and that cable will also use the chimney route.I plan to use an Omada switch in my basement that will distribute the connection to the rest of the house, including a wall jack in my server room (my cool sounding name for the spare bedroom with a computer in it) and the living room where I will connect the Switch and Xbox.I have two issues that are nagging my anxiety, because some of it is opinion-I read that the best practice is to use a punchdown block, and then use short cables to run to the switch, but is there any harm in plugging them in directly? The cable will be run with the intent of never being moved unless replaced, I plan to keep them down with the nail in clips.I bought my cable at Micro Center, but am unsure of it. I got the 23awg bare copper with 250mhz of bandwidth (i didnt even pay attention to that) because I thought it would help with durability when it comes to the two wires in my attic and hoping to not have to replace them for a LONG time. However in searching for ends to use, it brought me to some articles mentioning you shouldn't terminate 23awg with rj45 (which is weird, because this cable is already terminated on both ends)So my questions here are:Will the 250 mhz limit throughput if I only plan to run 1gig?Can I just run the cables directly into the switch?Is there an issue with using bare copper cable for this?Can I terminate these with rj45s safely, and if so do you have any you recommend, and a quality crimping tool to use it with?Are pass through RJ45s safe for POE? I saw some that shorted, and that makes me nervous. I'd prefer to do it the old school way if it's possible. All the chimney is used for is for exhaust for my water heater, never for heating the house, so it stays cool. Sorry for the insane length of this, all these things were on my mind and thank you for anyone who takes the time to answer any part of this.


Mining:
Bitcoin, Cryptotab browser - Pi Network cloud PHONE MINING
Fone, cloud PHONE MINING cod. dhvd1dkx - Mintme, PC PHONE MINING


Exchanges:
Coinbase.com - Stex.com - Probit.com


Donations:
Done crypto



Comments System

Disqus Shortname

Disqus Shortname

designcart
Powered by Blogger.