Sunday, May 26, 2024

Vive XR Elite and Vive Desk Appreciation Post


full image - Repost: Vive XR Elite and Vive Desk Appreciation Post (from Reddit.com, Vive XR Elite and Vive Desk Appreciation Post)
To start, I don't use it for classical VR experience - but more for portable work kit when I need multiple virtual screens that I run off my GPD Win 4 handheld device. I'm happy with the continued evolution of beta "Vive Desktop" to general release "Vive Desk". It's come a long way to let me use my Vive XR Elite for this very niche use case - but cheaper than Apple Vision Pro and more portable and comfortable than Quest 3. I have my work and home desks populated with giant ultrawide screens - so if I can't pack it with me easily to leave and do remote work, the Quest 3 has the functions but lacks the portability I need. Originally I was intrigued with Vive XR Elite announcement, but skipped it after the initial bad reviews and forgot about it for months. But, when I saw the potential of doing multiple virtual screens with Immersed software on Quest 3 with the improved pass through and hand tracking I was sold - but only needing it for on the go use I knew I needed it to pack down much smaller. I really wasn't happy with the Quest 3 for portability - even with going to a Razer soft strap and open interface to make it as light and comfortable as I could for long productivity sessions, it still didn't cut it. Ultimately, the fact you can't fold down the arms of the Quest 3 and its weight made me start looking again and remembered the Vive XR Elite. Since VXRE's arms fold down in glasses-mode means the heavy battery strap could be jettisoned and it actually fits in a coat pocket for transport! The MR gasket can't be overlooked for face ventilation to make it more comfortable (also lets me see my keyboard below the glasses since it's open), more portable, and glasses mode saves more weight. Even better that it's got diopter adjustments so I don't need prescription lenses like on my Quest 3 and other headsets. Making the VXRE more capable for hand tracking (although this is still a bit janky at this stage) means I only need to pack the headset for my use and leave those godawful huge-ringed controllers behind. I only need the hand tracking briefly at session start to launch the Vive Desk app - and then use my handheld's optical pointer to manipulate the mouse afterwards unless I need to rearrange the screens. In this form factor I can use it for hours with more comfort than my Quest 3 and with Vive Desk - I get the necessary 3 virtual screens for my workflow (I stack in a pyramid) with suitable pass-through that's pretty close to Quest 3 quality for safety awareness when I'm in public. Around my house with WiFi 6e, it's pretty low latency - my work got me a portable battery-powered NewQ router that can do Wifi 6 that I attach my handheld and Vive to when I go mobile. I then either run power to both handheld and headset with a PD capable power bank or wall charger if there's a nearby outlet. Parsec on my handheld lets me access one of my home servers from inside or outside my network and that latency is pretty decent. I only await HEVC/h265 video codec support for Vive Desk, which should improve performance and latency even more. Ultimately, I still use my smaller+lighter Rokid Max AR glasses for single screen and more portability - but when I want multiple virtual screens, I'll bring along the Vive XR Elite and it's only slightly chunkier than the AR glasses but way smaller than any current headset with its features.My GPD Win 4 is a gen old already, but if I run it at a 15W TDP, it can run the 3 screens for my work purposes and the benefit of having THIS handheld over a Steam Deck or ROG Ally is the keyboard and pointing device are built in and in the natural, reachable placement of controls where your thumb and fingers are when you hold the device in both hands. This means I can work in a plane or car without having a table/desk to support the kit on for typing and mousing. Vive Desk just needs a "movement" update like they're releasing for Quest 3 so you can use it on a moving vehicle or plane without the IMUs throwing your screens around.I have an Immersed Visor Founders Edition on preorder, but this is getting me by until I receive that. For even the current price drop, I wouldn't recommend the Vive XR Elite unless you match this very niche use case of mobile productivity, like mine and Visor is supposedly releasing soon.Still - if HTC wants to compete with Apple Vision Pro/Quest 3/Visor in the non-VR gaming/productivity aspect that's starting to blossom, all a new version needs is higher resolution screens like Visor will come with - keep the similar glasses-mode with the folding down arms and shave that down even more, if possible. Continue iterating Vive Desk, improving hand-tracking and request Virtual Desktop and Immersed devs to support this, make the MR gasket part of the default kit, and address the fit and comfort issues that seem to plague owners with larger heads (I don't have this issue). Oh, and make it with OLEDs with HDR for people to watch videos on the go.GPD Win 4 + Vive XR Elite in glasses mode w MR Gasket


Mining:
Bitcoin, Cryptotab browser - Pi Network cloud PHONE MINING
Fone, cloud PHONE MINING cod. dhvd1dkx - Mintme, PC PHONE MINING


Exchanges:
Coinbase.com - Stex.com - Probit.com


Donations:
Done crypto



Comments System

Disqus Shortname

Disqus Shortname

designcart
Powered by Blogger.