Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Slow download speeds, ISP tech says everything is fine.


full image - Repost: Slow download speeds, ISP tech says everything is fine. (from Reddit.com, Slow download speeds, ISP tech says everything is fine.)
Hi, so.. I'm not very tech savvy on the networking side, so I'm gonna do my best to explain and ask the right questions.TLDR: New modem/router, gradually declining service, no obvious issues from either my end or with the service provider itself. Looking for advice before sitting through the whole customer service loop again. Actual questions at the bottom.I'm trying to do some troubleshooting with my current Internet service and modem/router between shopping for a new ISP.Currently with Kinetic/Windstream on a 25 Mbps plan, and recently speeds have been averaging around 6 Mbps. (used to get a solid 20-25, been gradually degrading over the last month, but a huge sudden drop in the last week or so)Getting the same slow speeds over both wifi and ethernet.Both the over-the-phone customer service reps and the technician that just left my house has come to the conclusion that everything is fine on their end, my modem is receiving everything as it should, and I probably just have too many devices connected to the network and it's killing the bandwidth. But.. after taking their advice and doing my own testing afterwards, I just don't think this is the case.Went around the house and disconnected all devices, fully unplugging them to keep it simple, only things connected now are my PC (wired, ethernet cable) and my phone. Double checked this through the modem settings itself.Minor improvement I guess, but still only 6-7 Mbits. Took turns disconnecting my PC and phone to make extra sure there was only 1 device connected at any given moment. So this eliminates any of my devices being the issue (I think?), and now it's down to the modem itself, which I already kinda assumed.Admittedly, this is a new modem, had it replaced about a month ago (yes, also falling in roughly the same time frame as the drop in quality), provided by Windstream just like the last one. Only obvious difference is this one operates with smartsteering/smart wifi by default.So before I go crying foul on a faulty modem and waiting however long for a replacement and that not solving the problem either, the question is this:Am I missing something? Is there anything else I could be doing to troubleshoot the issue? Are there any settings in the modem itself I could change that might be causing it to not process data in an optimal way or send out the appropriate signals?Pretty sure I don't know the right terms to ask the questions I want to, but I'll take anything I can get from that.


Mining:
Bitcoin, Cryptotab browser - Pi Network cloud PHONE MINING
Fone, cloud PHONE MINING cod. dhvd1dkx - Mintme, PC PHONE MINING


Exchanges:
Coinbase.com - Stex.com - Probit.com


Donations:
Done crypto



Comments System

Disqus Shortname

Disqus Shortname

designcart
Powered by Blogger.