Friday, December 30, 2022

Sell me on a Firewalla. Would a Purple SE work for me?


full image - Repost: Sell me on a Firewalla. Would a Purple SE work for me? (from Reddit.com, Sell me on a Firewalla. Would a Purple SE work for me?)
I'm rebuilding my entire network and have been debating between a Firewalla, OPNsense, or a yet-to-be-discovered 3rd option. The goal is to have general protection from the internet and to manage and segregate different groups of devices as appropriate. Stop obvious known malware sites, no internet for security cameras, keep IOT and guest devices separate from my trusted devices, that sort of thing. If I went with Firewalla I was thinking of the Purple SE model connected to an 8 port switch:Cable Modem (200Mbps Service) -> Firewalla Purple SE -> 8x 2.5Gbps Managed SwitchWould my plan work? Would I have issues with this setup? Is there a better option or configuration? My thoughts and concerns comparing the Purple SE to other Firewallas or OPNsense:10 Geo-Filter Limit: Annoying but probably not the end of the world?5 VLAN Limit: Annoying, would really prefer 6-8, but if the 4 I have above are reasonable then 5 is probably workable"VLAN Only" Network Segregation: I'm not sure what the other options are. What am I missing?500Mbps: My internet service is only 200Mbps so no concerns with WAN performance. My concern is on the LAN side where I don't fully understand how routers, switches, and VLANs operate. If ALL the VLANs connect to the Firewalla for DHCP purposes as shown above then does ALL traffic also go to the Firewalla or does most inter-device traffic stay on the switch? For example file transfers between my office PC and NAS or the streams from multiple IP cameras to my NVR? Does that just go from one device directly to another via the switch or does all of it go up to the Firewalla and back?Cloud/Mobile Based: It seems counter-productive to spend so much time, money, and effort to isolate and localize everything in my house and then connect the whole lot of it to a 3rd party with a permissions-heavy app. I really hate this but I'm also trying to be realistic about the amount of time and knowledge that I have for managing OPNsense.


Mining:
Bitcoin, Cryptotab browser - Pi Network cloud PHONE MINING
Fone, cloud PHONE MINING cod. dhvd1dkx - Mintme, PC PHONE MINING


Exchanges:
Coinbase.com - Stex.com - Probit.com


Donations:
Done crypto



Comments System

Disqus Shortname

Disqus Shortname

designcart
Powered by Blogger.