Saturday, April 1, 2023

My homelab and some heat issues


full image - Repost: My homelab and some heat issues (from Reddit.com, My homelab and some heat issues)
Firstly, let me present my home lab. I'll be mounting the rack to the wall tomorrow but right now it is sitting on top of the chassis of an IBM 6400 printer that is now a place to store foodstuffs.Since the QNAP is the ARM version (a big mistake on my part) I can't run any VM, only containers so I added the minipc to tun a Win10 Pro host with OPNSense via Hyper-V.I have two ISPs, one in the rack and one in another room with the hopes that the FTTH can withstand a power failure since it's not supposed to be passing through any amplifiers like the coax cable one.I currently have everything in the same collision domain because I lack a managed switch and even if I had one, it would take some gymnastics to actually fit it into the rack, so right now each of the ISPs routers have a /30 subnet assigned to them and they talk only to the OPNsense box.My current issue is that between the rack not being mounted and the room being extremely dusty I have the entire rack closed and without fans.I'm waiting for a fan assembly upon which I'll add a makeshift filter to get the worst of the dust and keep a positive pressure inside the rack but until then the rack is running at about 40 degrees Celsius.I was monitoring the QNAP's and the minipc's temps, but everything was, in theory OK.Today I started having weird networking issues and the OPNSense box started throwing very weird errors until it stopped working at all when the vSwitch was up (rxbuf ack fail). I even removed the box from the rack and powered it in my bench and I was getting the same results.Just to be thorough I decided to open up the minipc and check the heatsink. Apparently it wasn't as tight as it should been. Anyways, I replaced the factory thermal paste with Artic Silver Ceramique 2 (old, I know but I've never had any issues with it) and reinstalled the heatsink properly. Lo' and behold! no more issues so it was clearly a "CPU might be cool enough, but the rest of the chips don't have enough cooling and the ambient temp inside the case was too much".I'll have to see if the fan assembly I plan to install (blowing from below) will be enough to keep the ambient temp down. I've got a peltier cell that's been waiting for me to find some reason to use it and moving the heat from the inside to the outside of the rack might just be the task for it.Anyways, long post but I wanted to share my issues and not only my HW.https://ift.tt/dKmVFsh


Mining:
Bitcoin, Cryptotab browser - Pi Network cloud PHONE MINING
Fone, cloud PHONE MINING cod. dhvd1dkx - Mintme, PC PHONE MINING


Exchanges:
Coinbase.com - Stex.com - Probit.com


Donations:
Done crypto



Comments System

Disqus Shortname

Disqus Shortname

designcart
Powered by Blogger.