Sunday, January 14, 2024

Scaling up to support more content streamers


full image - Repost: Scaling up to support more content streamers (from Reddit.com, Scaling up to support more content streamers)
Hey folks,I'm trying to figure out how/when/if I need to scale up my server to support some family members that are going to be remotely consuming content from my media server. Ideally, I don't want to replace the primary server components (mobo+cpu+ram) now if I can avoid it.Right now it's just my immediate household and my in-laws (remote). But I may add up to another two immediate family members outside of the house. I have a 500/500 fiber line that gives me usually 700/700. My line is rarely saturated as I cap Arrs* clients up and down. Network traffic going into a Lenovo m720q OPNSense router with a 4-port Intel i225 NIC, up to a 24 TP-Link Jetstream sg2428 PoE switch with a single VLAN (at this time) for CCTV.I imagine that some of the folks will need transcode because they have older TVs and devices. But so far, I'm not seeing too much demand. Could change!My server setup is:SuperMicro X11 SCL-F motherboardIntel Xeon 2126g64GB ECC RamNvidia T400 (4gb) gpuCrucial P4 2TB cache42TB of data disk space (8TiBs and a 10TiB)20Tib and 16Tib parity disks900w SeaSonic Platinum PSUCyberPower 2U UPSServices I'm presently running:HassOS on VMPlex (w/ Plex pass) serving 80% 1080, 15% 2160 and 5% 720 or lessMosquittoFrigate (8 x 5mp cameras)Coral TPU (usb)*HassOS and Frigate are about to go to their own dedicated hardware - Lenovo m920q.Okay all of that background -- where should I make improvements? I like to keep recently acquired content on the cache pool for the speed factor. I keep it on cache until the drive gets to 95% and then Mover Tuner allows Mover to write to array. I keep all of my disks spun down when not used to preserve electricity.Here are some of my thoughts --Swap out the 2TB Crucial P4 for a P3 Plus @ 4TiB to keep more content in cache. It's a little slower and doesn't have DRAM but it might be a decent trade-off.Scale up parity to a single 20TiB and swap out 2 x 8Tib data disks for new 20TiBs and a reclaimed 16TiB (formerly parity)Bond my server 4 port NIC so that it can saturate the connection when demand comes on​


Mining:
Bitcoin, Cryptotab browser - Pi Network cloud PHONE MINING
Fone, cloud PHONE MINING cod. dhvd1dkx - Mintme, PC PHONE MINING


Exchanges:
Coinbase.com - Stex.com - Probit.com


Donations:
Done crypto



Comments System

Disqus Shortname

Disqus Shortname

designcart
Powered by Blogger.