Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Having some trouble with my internet and new ISP (Gemstelecom) - Was told a 10G Network card is needed to get over 1G speeds?


full image - Repost: Having some trouble with my internet and new ISP (Gemstelecom) - Was told a 10G Network card is needed to get over 1G speeds? (from Reddit.com, Having some trouble with my internet and new ISP (Gemstelecom) - Was told a 10G Network card is needed to get over 1G speeds?)
I recently got settled in with Gemstelecom and got their 1.5Gbps plan. I'm not too great with the technical aspect of understanding these things, and thought I could ask for help.To start, I've been having two main issues since I made the switch. One is low speeds, and the other is that my internet connection keeps dropping. Regarding the former:I've been in contact with my ISP, who supplied me with a modem and router, that has a max 1Gbps and 867Mbps speed, respectively. They wouldn't tell me what the specs of the modem and router were until I had to go physically pick them up and find out myself. I've been running speedtest (Ookla) and getting about 400Mbps using WIFI right beside the router at best, with an average being closer to 250~.- I know I shouldn't be expecting to actually get 1.5Gbps speeds, since I'm only paying for speeds "up to" that amount, but am curious on if what I got as a response to an e-mail about poor and intermittent speeds is really accurate.It says " Please be advised you have 1.5G speed and your PC and other equipment must be capable of 1.5G speed, that means you must have 10G Network card in order to get any speed over 1G. No PC or Laptop comes with 10G that means you have to buy that kind of card first. ".Is what they said accurate? For the record, I have a max 2.4Gbps speed on my laptop's network card.Regarding the latter:My internet has been crashing consistently since making the switch, and after running a number o tests (taking screenshots and sending them, powering the modem off and on, etc), they still say there is nothing wrong. I've tried plugging in my old router both instead of theirs and simultaneously with i, and my router crashes just as much, but gets somewhat slower speed, despite being rated for 1300Mbps on 5G bands.So I guess my main question is: Does Gemstelecom in this context seem trustworthy? I've been getting bad vibes with how short they've been with me and the wording of their answers - they seem to always blame my hardware and things that don't really make sense. (they once told me I'm getting slower speeds because I briefly used a different router (with higher specs) than the one they supplied.)Lastly for a bit of background info regarding the coaxial cable, I'm using a CAT 6.Thanks!


Mining:
Bitcoin, Cryptotab browser - Pi Network cloud PHONE MINING
Fone, cloud PHONE MINING cod. dhvd1dkx - Mintme, PC PHONE MINING


Exchanges:
Coinbase.com - Stex.com - Probit.com


Donations:
Done crypto



Comments System

Disqus Shortname

Disqus Shortname

designcart
Powered by Blogger.